November has been a month of huge learning for me. I worked on a digital humanities project called the Hoccleve Archive, which is a digital edition of Thomas Hoccleve’s early 15th century poem, the Regiment of Princes. Initially, there was an issue with incorrect display of the line numbers in the poem. I came up with a solution to display line numbers accurately. The next task for us was to create a search functionality for a selected word which would search the poem/lexicon for that word and return the results with word, line number and parts of speech.
I took the responsibility of managing the team and getting the tasks done on time. I was involved primarily in coding the logic for the search functionality. I successfully divided up the search functionality into two parts, the GUI and back end logic and we assigned the work amongst us accordingly. Zane Blalock, a fellow SIF, worked on setting up the context menu that is shown in the below screenshot.
a) Search within the Poem
b) Search within the Lexicon
After both the logic and UI were ready, Zane worked on integrating it and we sat down together to resolve the issues that crept up and together we made the search functionality to work. Please find the below screenshot that displays the results on the UI.
a) Search within the Lexicon
b) Search within the Poem
The search functionality for Hoccleve Archive has been wrapped up successfully. We have set it up on the amazon web services.
Here is the link to the Hoccleve Archive: http://hocclevedev.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/. You need to select a word and then right click to see the context menu for search functionality.
Thank you Dylan and Robin for all the support! Zane and Madison, you guys have been amazing! It was pleasure working with you all!
I am graduating this December. So, my journey as a SIF has come to an end. I hope to use the experience I gained in all my future endeavors. I will miss working at SIF. Thanks to Justin, Brennan and Joe for giving me this wonderful opportunity.